Monday, May 21, 2012

Repurposed Furniture: My Love

So I thought I'd get things rolling with a blog about a few things I love to do! 

  1. I love to paint
  2. I LOVE to go to thrift shopping
  3. I love to make things look original and new and updated
  4. I love the sense of accomplishment of a finished project I worked hard on
So from this, began my love of refinishing furniture!

Ugly right? Well it was! I got it at Goodwill (which I visit about 2-3 times a week, what they have is always changing day to day) for $11!! It was full of scratches, dents, chunks were missing off the top, it was obviously a beaten up, well used dresser! But whenever looking for a furniture look at the bare basics! Don't look at the color or EW those HORRIBLE drawer pulls! Or the fact that its missing one. It's the structure that really matters, the rest you can change. SO, I did.
First I removed all the hideous hardware and sanded the ENTIRE dresser! When preping for paint, het all the scratches and dents all sanded out for best results! Thats IMPORTANT! You must put in the time to sand the piece! Personally I always use an electric sander, saves time and you can usually find one for about $15 bucks at a hardware, trust me, either suck it up and buy one or prepare yourself for an ass kicking!

Dont kid yourself if you think that repurposing furniture is just easy as painting in an hour or so, there are HOURS of sanding, HOURS of prep work and planning and even collecting materials, then hours of painting, and paint dryingggg.... etc etc.. it take TIME!  You may come across the issue I had. Since this is an older dresser it has handles that have holes that I wouldnt have been able to find other pulls to fit. So. Time to fill in the holes. 

I used dowel rods actually to make sure that the holes were sturdy. So I used heavy duty wood glue and glued dowel rods into the holes, what wasn't completely covered I used wood sealer to smoothe it out, same with the dents and chunks missing. This makes it so that I can put new CUTER knobs!     
DO NOT FORGET TO PRIME!!!!!!!!!! It will make a HUGE difference! It makes sure that you have a nice surface to let the paint finish cling! (It doesn't have to be perfect)

Nice and solid coat! I know the picture isn't that great but it was getting dark. AND NOWWWWWW.... For the grand finale!!!


TADA! Oh and I also threw in there a matching bedside table I redid. Both are in my bedroom at school. I found the knobs surprisingly at Target! they werent with the normal knobs in that section but they were in home decor and on an AMAZING SALE for about $3.45 for a pair, I had seen them earlier in the week and thought they were adorable but they weren't on sale yet! There were 3 packs left of knob pairs! Giving me 6 knobs. Try as I may I never found any more of those knobs at any Target. So for the bedside table I had to improvise. I found more knobs at World Market store(they have a GREAT knob selection) and i found semi matching knobs there but downside, they were $4 each!


It's lots of work doing this, but I love it! In fact I just picked up an end table at Salvation Army for $4 today! Im excited for that project! But I think tomorrow will be a painting day.


Hope you all enjoyed! If you have any questions or need some advise please comment! I'll do my very best to help!



No comments:

Post a Comment