Sunday, May 27, 2012

Looking Forward To More Projects!

Today, I made my usual stop at goodwill after I got off work, (makes my day that its in the next parking lot over!) and I found some pieces of furniture w potential! So I figured I would share them with you and just share some thoughts on each, pros and cons I guess, boring as it sounds, I PROMISE its important stuff!

Dresser #1 
Beautiful dresser, YES! however, I checked the drawers, the bottom right one was obviously dropped at some point, the "face" on the drawer is split, something that cannot be easily fixed. So, Tip #1 Always check the drawers! The dresser top has a nice deep niche taken out of it too. Next, this actually would be a very pretty dresser to fix up and if it weren't broke I might be inclined to bust my butt and pay $40 for it! BUT, I have nowhere for it to go! the PROS of this dresser, it has BEAUTIFUL hardware already, a bit of an elegant touch to it. Tip #2 Buying NEW hardware is A) EXPENSIVE and B) It can be a pain in the ass! If you have pulls that don't fit right... good luck, its hard work making a new fitting. It can be don't but its time consuming and can be on the difficult side. Tip #3 Look for a dresser(or any piece of furniture for that matter) that you think would look nice without decorative handles or paint. Just its bare minimum. You want a pretty foundation to work with.
Sidenote: If I were to refinish this one I might go with an off white color with some distressing on corners, it'd be beautiful!

Dresser #2
For this dresser, ya know, its not so cute.. most people would walk away from this one, its got some damage (easily fixable), its got an older middle-class look to it aka. Trying to look nice but w low priced materials. But rip all the hardware off and the horrible stain finish and you've got something to work with! Tip #4 Hardware can be saved! This hardware isn't in the least bit making me go 'ooohhh ahhhhh' but it CAN be painted! I'm a firm believer in spray paint! Just make sure it's for use on metal finishes!, if go with a Flat Black paint on those. Maybe paint this white with some deep brown distress.

Dresser #3
This dresser looks to me as if it's only gotten a few good years of use, damage here and there but in all around good shape. Tip #5 You wont usually find something in Goodwill that just can't be fixed. For this dresser, it has nice hardware, nice foundation to work with, top is in good condition, overall good quality. Cons, note the sagging bottom right drawer -_-.... I cant win.. however I CAN fix that.

So I've really been out looking for a dresser for a friend of mine that she's gonna get me to help her refinish, and one of these was the winner! 
While you take a wild guess  look at my latest furniture find from Salvation Army store! LOOK AT THAT PRICE!!

It's got some damages done to it but for this price I was NOT leaving without it!

 So did you guess Dresser #3?? For $25 my friend Emily got this one here! So I'll be sure to share the how-to with that one along with out step by step!



No comments:

Post a Comment