Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Art of Thrifting!: Decorative Candleholders

So I know that a lot of people actually don't believe in thrift stores, even my mom use to tell me that places like Goodwill were for poor people, and it wasn't clean, blah blah blah, but once I started going and finding all these things she started to realize its a great place for crafting possibilities!! There are SOO many different things you can make from things that you can usually find at goodwill.

So today I have a little treat for you! It's a cost happy craft that is SUPER easy, takes no time at all and gives you a great result!!
So heres what were making today:

Decorative Candleholders:

Materials: Cylindrical water glasses (from goodwill!! either tall or short will work, I used short), burlap (it comes in a few shades of brown I got it in a light shade and a medium brown shade, you can generally find it at any arts and crafts/fabric store, you'll only need about a square foot of burlap), pieces of ribbon (I wanted to use different shades of greens to go with the natural tones but haven't gotten around to it), glue (I used hot glue, a bag of glue sticks and the hot glue gun is $2 each at Walmart)









  1. Collect materials.
  2. Measure the outside of the glasses(around the body and from base to the lip, don't make the burlap extend over  ) to make the measurements for the burlap.
  3. In order to make sure that you have a straight cut for the burlap all you have to do is pull one of the strings out and cut where the string was pulled from making it straight! Ta-da! Neat trick right??
  4. Start by glueing the biggest layer of burlap onto the glass, making sure that it is centered and that each end matches up, a trick to use is make sure to dot glue close to the edges to prevent fraying from the burlap, 
  5. Repeat with second layer.
  6. For the ribbon, it's not necessary to hot glue it, I didn't find it to be necessary myself that way I can change out the ribbon colors according to whatever theme I choose.
  7. Tie your bow however you please, I personally think the classic bow and the tailored bow are best suited for this type of craft.
  8. Add candle. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment