Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dresser Overhaul: Day 2, 3, & 4


On Day #1 of overhaul I forgot to mention I went to Home Depot and bought paint ($12.58), a new backboard to replaced the cracked one I ripped off ($5.32), and stain (I just got a clearance Miniwax(sp?) for like $2.30). Overall, $20.20 spent! (Trust me thats not bad!)


On Day #2 of my dresser overhaul, it poured.... all day long! I was able to do pretty much nothing. I think the only think I was able to do was to cut the hardback piece for the back of the dresser and I nailed it on... 
On Day #3 I decided it didn’t need to be on yet so I took it off.. -_- ... I decided it’d be best to take it off because I still needed to paint the back of it and didn’t want to get paint on the new backboard. So I got everything ready to paint and set out a tarp in the yard and set up the power sprayer my granddad gave me that he used once... after 30+ minutes of setting that up and thinning the paint properly.....**motor noises**.... nothing... I decided to try again... **motor noises**.... nada.. 




Broken power sprayer after two uses.... AWESOME....!! I’ve always absolutely hated that thing, it almost ruined my last project, but my dad convinced me to use it again and this time it doesn’t even work this time... So time to move on to plan B (which in my mind is plan A), go back to the basics! Use a paintbrush!!  What a NOVEL idea!
 I explained to my dad that by using a power sprayer I would be taking away the textured effect that I wanted and that if I wanted it to look old I couldn’t use a new technique. It truly paid off in the end, I got to look I wanted and it looks wonderful! I got the imperfect look I was trying to get and used probably a fraction of the paint I would’ve used otherwise! Also I just used the paint that was already thinned which I believe also helped me get the look I was aiming for.













 The lady at home depot (after someone came and tried to help the first time) said that it wouldn’t be possible to get the look that I wanted with the paint i was getting, I told her.. “well.. my life is an experiment and this will be too” and that was that, i bought my paint and proved her wrong! (I LOVE doing that! It’s like my Freshman and Sophomore year of college over again!) But I ended up getting Behr’s “Embellished Blue”) Remember that when you go into a home depot or really any place that sells paint, 85% of the time the Paint chip samples they have are NOT the only colors you can get! If you ask someone there to help you, They can let you look through the “COLOR SAMPLE BOOK” that each brand has (I have a few at my house but didn’t really feel like looking at them before I went. Dumb idea). These shows you ALL the colors that are available, not Just the ones they want to put on display. Thats how I found my color. The guy that was originally helping me said it was a great color... haha... 
Anyways, I also on Day #2 painted the drawer sides and on the insides just for a little extra touch of color so i was worried about spraying the dresser and saving that color, so I guess it really was a good thing it didn’t work. 
So on Day #3 I painted the dresser body and had to rush and move it all into the garage because it like torrential stormed a little while later, oh and our house was leaking everywhere... -_-  
And today (Day #4) I finished the false bottoms and use some leftover wallpaper to line all the drawers.... aaaaannnddd duh duh duh daaaa (drumroll) ALL DONE!!!!!!










 TADA! One of my VERY favorite overhauls so far!! Tell me what you think and leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment